Leonard E. Waud
Harmon E. Farmer and Leonard E. Waud were instantly killed last night 
shortly before 11 o'clock when a Pennsylvania railroad engine drawing a 
caboose struck the truck in which they were driving at a crossing in 
Effingham, Ill.  The accident was not witnessed by anyone near the scene 
but a watchman at a crossing some distance away is said to have 
seen the engine strike the truck.

The bodies of the two men were carried a long distance, one being found 
a block from the crossing and the other a distance of probably a block and 
a half.  Mr. Waud received three deep cuts in the head, and his death was 
instantaneous. The men on the engine stopped immediately after the accident, 
and relatives of the dead men, and the Beekman Truck Service of this city 
were notified, receiving word about 12:30 this morning.

The truck is said to have been totally demolished, portions being carried 
several blocks, and the contents scattered over the route.  The truck was 
loaded with products of the Davidson Biscuit Company which were being taken 
to Chicago, by the transfer company.  The trucks, it is stated, contained 
crackers, bread, and like products of the company, and many of the cartons 
were not greatly damaged and were carried away by people who visited the scene 
of the wreck.  The debris was raked up and burned by railroad authorities. The 
engine and caboose of the Pennsylvania road were going west, being taken to 
St. Louis.  According to reports the crossing is a dangerous one, and it is 
said it is very difficult at best to see a train approaching from either direction 
on the Pennsylvania tracks.  The watchman had not been on duty since last night 
about 9:30 according to the information gained in Effingham by those who visited 
the scene after the accident, which happened in the down town district of Effingham.

W. B. Myers was notified of the accident and Mr. Myers with Dewey Atchison 
departed at once for the scene, and brought the bodies back, arriving here 
about 11:30 this morning.  They were prepared for burial at the Myers establishment.
Mr. Farmer had been employed a long time by the Beekman Transfer Company, and 
left last night about 8:30, accompanied by Mr. Waud, who often went with him on 
trips.  It is stated Mr. Farmer had driven a truck a period of six years. Mr. Waud 
was an employee of the International Shoe Company in the cutting department, and 
as he had no work for today decided to accompany his friend on the Chicago trip.

The inquest had not been held this morning when Mr. Myers departed for Mt. Vernon, 
but the coroner and jury had viewed the bodies and the coroner gave his permission 
for removal of the bodies to Mt. Vernon.

Mr. Farmer and Mr. Waud were highly respected young men, and had many friends in 
Mt. Vernon.  They were model citizens, and all who knew them speak in terms of the 
highest praise regarding them and deepest regret is universally expressed at the 
untimely death of both.  They were industrious men whose application to work added 
to their value, and increased their usefulness.

Funeral services for Leonard Waud will be held Wednesday at 11 o'clock a.m. at the 
Park Avenue Baptist Church, conducted by the pastor, the Rev. C. W. Maulding.  
Burial will follow in Hopewell Cemetery northeast of Mt. Vernon.

Mr. Waud was born in Mt. Vernon ------- time of death was 20 years, 3 months and 23 days.
He is survived by his father and step-mother, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Waud, and one brother, 
Gilbert Waud, and two sisters, Mrs. Clyde Compton, Mt. Vernon, and Pauline Waud of McLeansboro.

The body will be taken this afternoon to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Compton at 
Tenth and Park avenue, where it will remain until the funeral hour Wednesday.

Source: Mt. Vernon Register News
Date: 1-29-1934
Submitted by: Ken Richardson

Visit RootsWeb 
Submit An Obituary

Please send additions & corrections to 
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2016 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved