Wylie Prigmore
Uncle Wylie PRIGMORE is dead.  Such were the unwelcome tidings that spread 
from mouth to mouth on the 25th day of May.  While it was true that we had 
been listening for the summons, yet it was true that we were not ready to 
surrender our claim.  He had spoken so, long it seemed he must spoke once 
more, yet we were forced to realize that the counseling tongue was silent, 
the hands that worked so long were still, and that the impress of a long 
and faithful life with its philosophic lessons were all that was left to us.  
And as we stood in that chamber of death we whispered that Uncle Wilie was 
an honest man.  An angel of heaven stood to waft a spirit home who ne'er 
wronged a man save one (himself).

Uncle Wylie was born near Knoxville, Tenn., July 25, 1806, consequently he 
was 83 years and 10 months old at his death.  He learned the hatter's trade 
and traveled as journeyman hatter with varying success for three years. He 
came to this county in 1827 and settled in Moore's Prairie.  Made a trip to 
Missouri, near where the city of Moberly now stands, returning lived 
respectively in Mt. Vernon and McLeansboro, all this time plying his trade.

Returning to Moore's Prairie he married Miss Mary A. PUCKETT, daughter of 
James PUCKETT, July 7, 1830, who died February 20, 1850.  Seven children 
were the fruits of this union, three dying in infancy and four (3 sons and one daughter) 
reaching maturity.  The daughter married Samuel VAUGHN and died many years since, 
leaving a respectable family, mostly now living in Oregon. James PRIGMORE died 
in Indiana, his family being very much scattered.  Thomas PRIGMORE is still 
living in the State of Texas.  The only child of this union, Capt. George PRIGMORE, 
died in Arkansas, where he married and settled after the rebellion.  George was an 
exceptionally energetic man and filled many honorable positions in the State 
with credit to himself and honor to his State.  He was a respected member of 
the bar and a moving spirit in the Legislature at one time.  He leaves two highly 
educated and accomplished daughters, who reside in their native State, Arkansas.

Uncle Wylie entered the Black Hawk War in 1832.  Returning he taught school 
and followed the hatter's trade, acted Justice of the Peace for several years, 
being the first or second Judge elected in Spring Garden Township.  He crossed 
the plains to California in 1850.  Returning he was united in marriage to Mrs. 
Nancy COULTER September 30, 1852, who still survives him, aged 74 years.  
The result of this union was one son, Robert V. PRIGMORE, with whom he has 
made his home for several years, and who was the only one of eight children 
to comfort his father in his last hours and left to care for his aged mother.

Uncle Wylie was Captain of a military company for some years.  He also acted 
as postmaster, giving general satisfaction for twenty-four years.

Brother Wylie was interred with all the ceremonial rights and honors of Odd 
Fellowship, he having been a member of Marion Lodge of Mt. Vernon since 1850, 
until he became a charter member of William Lodge No. 242, of Spring Garden, 
in 1856, having filled all the chairs with honor to himself and credit to the 
lodge.  Many brothers from other lodges and many friends attended the funeral, 
the sermon being delivered by Rev. HINCKLEY, of the M. E. Church, of which he
had been a consistent member for over fifty years.  He was interred at Smith 
Cemetery four miles northeast of Spring Garden, where his many friends bade him 
a last adieu on earth.

Source: Mt. Vernon IL Register (Weekly)
Date: June 18, 1890
Submitted by Mary Zinzilieta

Visit RootsWeb 
Submit An Obituary

Please send additions & corrections to 
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2016 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved