James Martin Price
James Martin Price, son of John and Lucretia Price, was born ten
miles south of Savannah, Hardin County, Tenn., March 12, 1849. Died May 30, 1909.

He passed his childhood days in his native state working on the farm
in the summer and attending school at intervals through the winter.  But like
boys of that part of the country he grew up strong and fearless, and when the
storm of war came and whirled and eddyed round him and the shock of battle
was heard. It aroused his retiring soul and filled his patriotic heart with a
longing to shoulder a gun and do battle for his country.  Although a mere lad
in age and stature he was a man in thought and action, and repeatedly offered
his services to his country, but was as often rejected on account of his years. 
After a brave and hard struggle, and when their property had been all swept away by
marauding bands of guerillas, the family moved to Richview,Ill., in March,1863.

There the subject of this sketch toiled bravely on, ever keeping  in his mind his 
country's call, and on Feb. 4, 1865, he enlisted in Company I, 154th Ill. Infantry, 
at the age of 15, becoming the youngest boy in the company.  He did his duty as a 
soldier, obeyed every order with a manly courage.  He was by nature retiring but 
cheerful, and kind to his comrades and with a cheerful smile would divide his meagre
rations, share the contents of his canteen and sip coffee from the same tin cup 
with his fellow soldier.

At the close of the war he was mustered out of the service and
returned to his home in Richview, a splendid boy 16 years of age, and entered the
race in life.  In 1867 he married Miss Dora Dillingham, of this city, and to
them were born six children; his three sons, Walter, Earl, and Taylor,
survive him.  His wife died June 8, 1894.  Since the mother's death, in Earl's
own language, "He has been father and mother ever since we could remember."

Mr. Price began to decline in health about a year ago, but he kept
going till about the 20th of April, when he was confined to his room and most
of the time to his bed, but his strong will rallied him several times and
hopes were entertained for his ultimate recovery, but he made a brave stand in
a losing fight; the Reaper had claimed him. The writer visited him a short
time before his death and his greetings were as of old, but on taking his
hand there was a twitching of the grasp that was unnatural; but his eyes and
manner spoke cheerfulness and devoted friendship.  During the last few
days his suffering was intense but he bore it bravely, and turned his wan,
pale face and with weary eyes looked out on the beautiful, cool shades and
above the rumble of the busy world he listened to the voice of his Maker.

The funeral service was conducted by Rev. C.D. Shumard, Monday, May
31  and the burial was at Bethel.  

June 9, 1909 Issue
Mt. Vernon Register News
Submitted by: Jerry L Price

Visit RootsWeb 
Submit An Obituary

Please send additions & corrections to 
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2016 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved