Capt. John S. Brooks

Capt. John S. BROOKS, died at the residence of John NESMITH, 
on South Union street, about 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon,after 
a long and painful illness. 

Deceased was the eldest son of Nathan BROOKS, and was born in Hardin 
county, Ky., August 10, 1828. When 16 years of age he emigrated with 
his parents to Illlinois and settled in Ewing, in Franklin county, 
where his youth and early manhood was spent on a farm. Capt. BROOKS 
identified himself with the Republican part on its own organization 
in 1856 and voted for J.C. FREMONT for president in Nov. of that year. 
He was intensely patriotic and as the flames of the party hatred had 
been sweeping over the country for some time,as the result of the 
agitation for the extension of slavery into the Northern States, Capt. 
BROOKS found himself to be upon the unpopular side of that great question, 
and some of his neighbors and associates made it very disagreeable for 
him on account of his political views. 

When the war broke out he was charged with inconsistency and cowardice 
in not volunteering his services for the perpetuation of the union, and 
to demonstrate the falisity of this unpatriotic imputation he enlisted 
in Company K, 49th Ill volunteer infantry,and was mustered into service 
at Camp Butler, Aug. 30, 1861, under Col. Wm. R. MORRISON. He remained 
in the service for four years and nine months, taking part in the battles 
of Fort Donelson, Pittsburg Landing, Shiloh and other hard fought engagments, 
as well as participating in the Red River expedition. He contracted measles 
in the army and came home on furlough. He continued with his regiment from 
this time till he was mustered out at Springfield, Sept. 9, 1865. Capt. BROOKS 
was successively promoted for meritorious conduct from private to corporal 
then to orderly sergeant and later to 2nd lieutenant. His regiment was 
organized by Col. Wm. R. MORRISON, of Waterloo who served from Aug. 30, 1861 
to Dec. 13, 1862 when he resigned and was replaced by Col. Phineas Pease, 
of Centralia who continued to be its commanding officer till Jan. 9, 1865 
when his term of enlistment expired. From this time until the close of the 
war the regiment was in charge of Lt. Col. Wm. P. MOORE, of Waterloo. Company 
K in which Capt. BROOKS served, was commanded during the earlier years of the 
war by Capt. Benjamine T. WOOD, and during the last two years of hostilities 
by Capt. Joseph LAUR, both of this county. 

Capt. Brooks was twice married, the first time to Miss Fannie ALLEN and the 
second to Mrs. Chas. WOODWORTH. Two children, Mrs. Rebecca Jane CATES and 
Mr. Monroe BROOKS, survive as the result of the first marriage while Mrs. Carrie 
GRAY and Mrs. Lucy SAVAGE are the living representatives of the second marriage. 
Capt. BROOKS has suffered greatly for many years on account of the exposure and 
hardships he underwent as a soldier and drew a well deserved pension from the 
government for his services in the field of battle from 1861 to 1865. 

The obsequies took place at 2 o'clock this afternoon under the auspices of 
Coleman Post G.A.R of which he was a devoted member. Interment at Oakwood cemetery. 

March 28, 1899 Mt.Vernon Register News 
Submitted By: 
Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera

Visit RootsWeb 
Submit An Obituary

Please send additions & corrections to 
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2016 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved