WALTER S. MAXEY
WALTER S. MAXEY. In every community, large or small, there are
a few men who, by their force of character, are intuitively recognized
as in the front rank of representative citizens, men who are successful
in their business undertakings, generous and fair in their business relations
and who perceive and advocate warmly those measures which insure the public
welfare. They succeed not necessarily because of extra-ordinary talent
or because of the influence of others, but very largely because of close
application to whatever they have in hand and thus master details and go
forward step by step, always to higher planes. In the thriving city of
Mount Vernon there is a representative of this class found in Walter S.
MAXEY, the son of James C. and Nancy J. MAXEY, who was born in Field township,
Jefferson county, Illinois, March 8, 1854. (For full sketch of subject's
parents and ancestors see sketch of James C. MAXEY.)
The subject received his early education in the common and high schools
of his native county. Being a diligent student he soon acquired a good
education and was enabled to begin teaching at the age of twenty and in
a short time had established quite a reputation in the Jefferson county
public schools as an able instructor, following this profession for a period
of nine years in three districts.
In the winter of 1876 he taught in Jersey county, this state. His services
were in great demand and he succeeded in pleasing both pupil and patron.
But notwithstanding his success in teaching Mr. MAXEY decided to take up
merchandising, consequently in the fall of 1880 he began clerking in the
grocery store of the late S. K. LATHAM, continuing in a most satisfactory
manner in Mr. Latham's employ for a period of three years, a part of the
time for S. C. H. TAYLOR, who purchased the former's business. In the winter
of 1884 Mr. Maxey served on the United States grand jury at Springfield,
Illinois, for three months and was unanimously elected clerk of that body,
the duties of which he performed in a very faithful and able manner.
In July, 1884, our subject entered the drug store of Porter & Bond
as clerk and apprentice to learn the drug business, having worked for this
firm continuously until October, 1889, when, having become a registered
pharmacist he formed a partnership with Dr. A. C. JOHNSON and J. H. RACKAWAY
in the drug business, which partnership continued until 1900, when Mr.
MAXEY and Mr. RACKAWAY bought the interests of Doctor JOHNSON in the drug
business which they are still continuing at the old stand on the southeast
corner of the square, making twenty-five consecutive years that this business
has been located there, consequently the store is known not only to everyone
in Mount Vernon but throughout Jefferson county and an extensive trade
has been built up, for the managers are courteous and considerate to all
customers and handle a complete line of drugs, sundries, etc., of excellent
quality. Their store is a neat and well managed one. Mr. MAXEY was married
to Almeda HICKS in 1888. She was the youngest daughter of the late Col.
S. G. HICKS, a well known family of this county. Mrs. MAXEY passed to her
rest in 1891 and in 1900 the subject married Estella WIEDEMAN, a graduate
and very efficient teacher in the Mount Vernon public schools. To this
union three children have been born, namely: Walter Charles, James Wayland
and Margaret Moss. The subject has filled the office of Assessor for Webber
township; also Collector, and several terms as School Trustee of Mount
Vernon township. In all the relations of life he has proven true to the
trusts reposed in him and performed his duties conscientiously, consequently
he is spoken of in highest terms of approval by all who know him, and is
a worthy representative of the old and honored Maxey family.
SOURCE: WALL'S HISTORY OF JEFFERSON CO 1909
SUBMITTED BY: Misty Flannigan
Dec 15, 1997