Jefferson County

Newspaper Articles

John Davis was defendant in Squire Crozier's court yesterday
on the charge of selling liquor without a license and was fined $20 and
costs. He was also charged with keeping a disorderly house, but on 
recommendation of City Attorney this case was dismissed. These suits 
were instituted in Police Magistrate Well's court on the 30th of December 
and were taken before Squire Crozier on a change of venue. Davis stated in 
court that he was done with the illicit traffic in whiskey, which influenced 
the city attorney to have the second case against him dismissed from the docket.

January 14, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News
Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera
January 28, 1998

There was a dinner given at the residence of Wm. Baker, in Rome township, Jan. 10th, in honor of Mrs. Baker's mother, Mrs. Crow's 79th birthday. About 10 o'clock friends and relatives began to gather, and at noon a sumptuous dinner served. After dinner may useful presents were given to gladden the heart of Grandma Crow. Grandma Crow was born in Knox Co., Tenn. Jan. 10th,1820. She has seven children living and two dead, one son and four daughters were present. Lewis Crow, of Lawrenceville, Ill.; Mrs. Pertle, of Sullivan, Ind.; Mrs. Logan, of Mt. Vernon, Ill.; and Mrs. Geo. Tate, of Idlewood; there are several grandchildren and two great grandchildren and a host of friends present.  January 14, 1899 Mt. Vernon Daily Register Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 15, 1997
Nellie Harlow, aged nine years, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. F. Harlow living at 101 Herbert St., was accidentally shot in the right breast about 6 o'clock Saturday night, by Ernest Allen, a neighbor boy, while playing with a flobert gun, inflicting a painful and serious wound. The ball which was a 32 caliber, imbedded itself in the lungs rendering its removal impossible by the surgeon. Just how the unfortunate affair occurred it is difficult to ascertain, but it seems tht the Allen boy and some companions had been amusing themselves by testing their skill as marksmen and just as the former was in the act of shooting, the Harlow girl, who before had been unseen, stepped between him and the target, receiving the contents of the gun in the chest as above stated. She was carried into the house and Dr. Harl Gee summoned to make an examination of her injuries which were found to be of a rather grave character. One of the small arteries was cut by the passage of the bullet causing the wound to bleed profusely. The Harlow girl was but little improved this morning and it is feared that pneumonia may develop as a result of her injuries. So great has been her suffering that it has been found necessary to keep her under the influence of morphine since the accident occurred. January 23, 1899 Mt. Vernon Daily Register Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 15, 1997
Jim Yearwood, while hunting with a party of friends near Salem Baptist church, three or four miles northeast of town, accidently shot himself in the back of the head this afternoon, inflicting what is feared to be a serious injury but just how the unfortunate affair occured could not be learned, except that in some way Yearwood's gun was prematutely discharged and its contents entered the back of his head. Dr. Earl Green was summoned to dress the wound, but he had not returned to town at the time of going to press, the full extent of Yearwood's injuries could not be ascertained. February 9, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News  Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 15, 1997
Thomas and Benjamin Welsh, sons of Dr. Welsh, who came here some time ago from northern Illinois and purchased the Dodd's farm, a mile west of the city limits, had their ears and faces badly frozen while going home from the Mt. Vernon Collegiate Institute yesterday afternoon. There was a stiff breeze blowing from the west at the time and the temperature was about 15 degrees below zero. February 11, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Nov 6, 1997
LT. CHANCE IMPROVING Mr. and Mrs. J. O. Chance received a cablegram a few days ago from their son, Lieut. William Chance announcing the fact that he was just recovering from an attack of typhoid fever. Today Mrs. Chance is in receipt of the following message from her brother, Gen. Wesley Merritt: GOVERNOR ISLAND, N.Y. 2, 15, 1899 Mrs. J. O. Chance: Cable just received by war department report's Willie's condition favorable. You need not worry. He will be well cared for. Wesley Merritt February 15, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News  Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Nov 6, 1997 
Clarence Faith, aged seven years, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Faith, is critically ill from catarrhal pneumonia. He was taken sick last Wednesday and has grown contantly worse until his condition has awakened the gravest fears of his parents. Dr. Earl Green, the family phyiscian, stated this morning that the most serious consequences might be expected. February 27, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Sept 7, 1998
An altercation took place between John Manion and George Carter near Howard's grocery store on Broadway about 3:30 this afternoon resulting in a fight in which both combatants were more or less injured. Manion received three or four very ugly cuts on the neck and face from a knife in the hands of Carter while the latter accidently cut his right hand quite seriously in the meelee. Manion received a cut across the nose completely severing it, in addition to ugly cuts in the throat and the back of the head. The character of his injuries could not be learned but they are believed to be quite serious. If Warner Louth and other bystanders had not seperated the combatants the result of the fight might have been of the most disasterous discription. The cause of the dispute leading to trouble could not be ascertained. Manion went to Jefferson House where he was given surgical attention. Up to the time of going to press no arrests had been made. March 3, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 15, 1997
CELEBRATED HIS 79TH BIRTHDAY The seventy-ninth birthday anniversary of Uncle Johnny Bogan was celebrated by a family reunion and dinner at 708 West Jefferson avenue yesterday and was every sense a very delightful affair. All the children and grandchildren were present except Frank Goodrich, who is in the military service with the 4th Regiment now stationed at Camp Columbia, Mariano, Cuba. Among the out of town guests present to help honor the occasion was Mr. and Mrs. W. V. B. Bogan, of Chicago, who left for home via St. Louis at 4:30 p.m. After dinner the group was photographed with Mr. Bogan Sr. occupying the position of honor to which he was entitled by his seniority. During the festivities the following telegram was received from Gen. Pavey: Vicksburg, Miss., March 5, 1899 John S. Bogan, Mt. Vernon, Ill. May you live many years and your pathway grow brighter. C. W. Pavey Uncle Johnny Bogan was born at Woodstock, Shenandoh county, Va., March 6, 1820 and was the oldest of a family of twelve children. He spent his early boyhood in his native town but when twelve years of age removed with his parents to Washington D. C. and two years later entered upon a six year term of apprenticeship in the Globe printing office at the national capitol. Mr. Bogan remained in thisk position till 1843 when failing health compelled him to seek other employment in an effort to recoup his wasted energies. He engaged in farming near Washington and continued to cultivate the soil till the fall of 1840, when he came to Illinois and settled in Grand Prairie township in the county where he again took up the occupation of  farming which he continued until he removed to Mt. Vernon in the summer of 1851 and started the "Jeffersonian" the first newspaper published in the county. From that time to the present Mr. Bogan has been an important factor in the affairs of Mt. Vernon and its history would be incomplete were his influence eliminated from its past. One of the most genial and admirable of gentlemen, the REGISTER pays homage to his virtues and joins a host of friends in wishing Mr. Bogan many more natal anniversaries under circumstances no less agreeable than those of yesterday. March 7, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 15, 1997
CAMP GROUND Our school closed last Thursday with the customary exercises. Some of the pupils received prizes from the teachers for excellent work and meritorious conduct. Those receiving prizes were: Nina Harlow, Grace Williams, Willie Edlund, Wm. Vaughn, Bessie Vaughn, and Burrell May. March 14, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 27, 1997 
PALTRY SALOON ARGUMENT LEADS TO VERY SERIOUS RESULTS Gustav Heintz, a baker, who lives over his place of business at 900 Chambers street, was stabbed nine times and probably fatally wounded at Ninth and Chambers streets last night at 6 o'clock. The victim, Phil Hauck, a bricklayer boss; George Heugle and George Singer, became involved in a political argument in the saloon at the southeast corner of Ninth and Chambers streets. The result of the quarrel was that Heintz hurled a beer glass at Hauck, the missile breaking in pieces against his head. Friends seperated the combatants before any further damage was done and Heintz went home. A short while afterwards Hauck, Heugle and Singer left the saloon and started across Ninth St. As they were passing Heintz's bakery, the proprietor appeared on the scene with a club. The fight was renewed, and Heintz, it is said, floored all of his opponents. Hauck is the only one who regained his feet. He drew his knife, closed in on his agtagonist and began slashing. He plunged the blade into Heintz's breast and abdomen, slashed him thrice in the right shoulder and then carved four holes in his scalp. Weak from loss of blood Heintz staggered into the house and his opponents fled. The police who arrived shortly afterward arrested Hauck within a block of the scene of the fight. Physicians were called to attend Heintz at his home and they discovered that the blade had penetrated his lung and abdomen. The Gus Henze above referred to worked as a baker in this city a year or two ago and went from this city to St. Louis.  March 23, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 21, 1997

Mrs. Ed Crosnoe, nee Shehorn, attempted suicide by shooting herself with a revolver on South First Street about 12 o'clock last night. According to information gleaned from the father of the would-be suicide this morning, Mrs. Crosnoe and her sister, Della Shehorn, were away from home until a late hour last night.. They returned together about 11 o'clock and on entering the house Mrs. Crosnoe asked her mother where her revolver was and was told it was under her pillow. Going to the bedside the young woman took the revolver and in a few minutes left the house with her sister, saying as she went out that she was going to have some fun. The two women made their way to the residence of Mrs. Crosnoe, mother-in-law of the elder, on South First street, where they halted for some time in front of the gate leading to the house. Flourishing the revolver in a threatening manner, Mrs. Crosnoe told her sister she believed she would shoot herself and almost instantly pulled the trigger. Her sister was too quick for her however, and by knocking the gun upwards the ball passed harmlessly over her shoulder. Mrs. Crosnoe had not relaxed her hold on the revolver and before anything could be done to prevent it she placed the muzzle to her bosom and fired, the ball ranged upward and lodged in her shoulder blade inflicting a painful, and rather serious, wound. Several people in the vicinity, who had heard the shooting, ran to the assistance of the wounded woman and helped her sister carry her home. Dr. Levick was summoned and after examination pronounced the wound a serious, but not necessarily fatal, one. Mrs.Crosnoe has repeatedly declared her intention of killing herself and recently attempted to end her life by taking poison. At noon today her condition was reported to be rather critical and her recovery regarded as very doubtful. As the ball has not yet been removed there is a great danger of blood poisoning.  May 19, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 21, 1997 

The Daily Register - Mt. Vernon, IL, Friday, June 9, 1899 A surprise reunion was held at Sheller yesterday of brothers, sisters and family of Peter REIDELBERGER, it being his 65th birthday. Two of the brothers hadn't met in 15 years. A bountiful feast was spread and all enjoyed the day wishing the brothers many more returns of the day. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Wm. REIDELBERGER of O'fallon, Ill.; Joe and Tom REIDELBERGER of St. Louis; Mrs. Mary REDFERN and Hattie REIDELBERGER of Pinckneyville; Mrs. K. SHEW; Mrs. STULL and son Paul of this city; Mr. and Mrs. Ed REIDELBERGER of Sheller and others.
ACCIDENTALLY SHOT By His Mother While Toying With a Revolver Garfield Huston, a young man about 18 years of age,was accidentally shot by his mother, Mrs.Susan Huston, wife of Ludwell Huston, at the family home, three miles north of Mt. Vernon, shortly after 8 o'clock this morning, while toying with a revolver which she believed to be unloaded. Young Huston with his brother-in-law, Arthur Short, were sitting on the bed in one of rooms of the Huston residence, engaged in conversation, when the mother of the former entered the apartment and seeing a revolver on the mantel, picked it up in a careless manner and snapped it two or three times in a playful manner, as she knew that it had been lying there some time with all of its chambers empty. Much to her consternation it went off on pulling the trigger the third time, the ball striking her son about half an inch below the right eye and ranging downward, lodged in the jaw, near the base of the left ear. On witnessing the distressing effects of the shot which she had unwilling fired, the mother was overcome with grief and passed into a swoon, from which it was difficult to restore her to consciousness. Robert Moss and Arthur Short brought the unfortunate young man to town as soon as possible and took him to the office of Dr. Moss Maxey, where he was put under the influence of an opiate after which the flow of blood was staunched and the wound properly dressed. The ball is imbedded in the flesh in proximity to a number of blood vessels, rendering all efforts to remove it by a surgical operation an extremely difficult and dangerous matter, and for this reason no immediate attempt of this kind will be made unless unexpected complications arise compelling a resort to this method of treatment. Had the ball struck the unhappy youth a half an inch higher, it would have destroyed the eye, or had it been deflected upward, instead of downward, it would have penetrated the brain and killed him instantly. Asit is he will no doubt recover, although, the wound is of a very serious charcater. The revolver, which is of the British bull dog pattern of 38 calibre, had been lying about the house for some time in an empty condition and various members of the household had played with it with the certainty that it was unloaded, and consequently harmless. Yesterday, however, a younger brother of Garfield's placed a cartridge in one of the chambers, but omitted to tell his mother what he had done, although he mentioned the fact to his brother and other members of the family. The mother is grief stricken over the affair as is also the younger brother, who was indirectly the cause of the trouble. Ludwell Huston, the father of the unhappy boy, is an old soldier and about two weeks ago went to the Soldiers Home at Quincy for treatment of ailments contracted during the civil war. June 10, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera January 28, 1998
Mrs. James M. Hill, who attended the obsequies of her father, W.R. Webb, at Webb's Prairie church yesterday, was taken suddenly and seriously ill shortly after her return home from Ewing at 11 o'clock this morning and her condition has since been very critical. A short time after reaching home she sank into a state of unconsciousness from which it has been impossible to rouse her. It is feared that unless an improvement takes place in her condition within the next few hours her recovery will become a matter of the gravest doubt. July 10, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Jan 28, 1997
Clabe Harper, father of Chas. Harper, is critically ill at his home in Shiloh township as the result of an attack of heart trouble yesterday. Mr. Harper has been a victim for many years of periodical attacks of heart disease, and in several instances it was thought that he could not recover, but his vitality has always re-asserted itself and he has been able to throw off the disease. Yesterday he was found by the members of his family lying in the orchard, about 100 yards from the house, in a helpless and unconscious condition from one of these attacks. He was moved to the house and a physician summoned to attend him but thus far all efforts to restore him to his normal condition have proven unavailing and it is feared that the stroke may be a fatal one. His condition is but little improved today. July 12, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Sept 7, 1998
Dan Fitzgerrell, of Winfield and Bob Fitzgerrell of Benton arrived here last night to see their mother, Mrs. J. J. Fitzgerell who is quite sick at her home at 106 North First street. We are pleased to announce a considerable improvement in Mrs. Fitzgerrell's condition today.  July 12, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Nov 6, 1997
The People vs. William H. Limecooley was the style of an action brought in Police Magistrate court this morning on the complaint of John Yearwood. The defendant, who is foreman of the foundry at the car shops, was charged with by the complainant with discharging him from the employ of the Mt. Vernon Car Manufacturing Co. for the sole reason that he belonged to a labor organization, an act contrary to the State of Illinois. To redress his wrongs Yearwood brought suit against Limecooley charging him with an attempt at coercion, thereby depriving him of his rights as an American citizen. The case was one of considerable interest and every step of the trial was watched by a large crowd of spectators. A great mass of testimony was taken, and by agreement of counsel, argument was waived, the court declaring the evidence insufficient to hold the defendant and he was discharged. Yearwood is a member of the local lodge, American Federation of Labor, and he asserts that it was on this account that he was discharged from the employ of the company, the evidence, however, failed to disclose the truth of this statement. July 18, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Dec 18, 1997
Thomas and Charles Bullock were arrested by the police about 6:30 last night for running over the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Beardin while she was crossing the street at the southwest corner of the public square. The defendents, who are father and son respectively, had been drinking considerably during the afternoon,and when they got into their buggy to go home they started their horse at a gait that was dangerous to pedestrians who attempted to be
crossing the street in front of them. The girl happened to be on the street at a most inopportune time and as a result was knocked down and run over while crossing from Howard to Culli Bros.& McAtee's corner. Fortunately she was not seriously hurt, although she was dragged a distance of 40 or 50 feet over the hard pavement on account of her dress becoming fastened in one of the wheels. The prisoners were each fined $5 and costs by Police Magistrate Wells this morning. July 20, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 29, 1997 
Benjamin Gross is lying at the Kentucky House, on South Unions street, in a very precarious condition as the result of an assault upon him by a fellow workman, named Al Smith, with a shovel while working upon the L & N railroad grade, near Woodlawn, about 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Shortly after eating their dinners yesterday, Gross and Smith became involved in an altercation over some trivial matter which resulted i the latter striking his companion on top of the head, cutting a gash about three inches long and inflicting injuries that produced internal hemorrhage and which rendered Gross unconscious. Foreman McCord apparently did not realize the seriousness of Gross' condition and he was allowed to remain with the section of men until 6 o'clock last night when he was brought to town and a physician summoned to attend him. Immediately after making the assault Smith took his departure and has since been seen, notwithstanding the efforts of the officers to find him. It is of course impossible to forecast the result of Gross' injuries, but fears are expressed that they may be fatal in their consequences. Dr. W. O. Manion, who has charge of the case, stated at noon today that his patient was resting comfortably, but that Gross had considerable fever which he was trying to allay. Two or three hemorrhages this morning are not a very auspicious augury of an early recovery, and it would not surprise his attendantes if Gross was incapacitated from work a long time by the murderous assault upon him yesterday. Some astonishment is expressed that Foreman McCord should allow the unfortunate man to remain on the roadside in a helpless condition from 1 till 6 o'clock without dispatching a messenger for a physician, or bringing him to town where he could receive proper attention. July 20, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Nov 6, 1997 
Johnny Maloney received a telegram from his daughter, Mrs. Nellie Dachwald, at Doniphan, Mo., annoncing thevery critical illness of her baby at that place. The telegram stated that if the baby died it would be brought here for burial. August 1, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News  Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Jan 28, 1997
Logan Lacey, who was badly hurt by the fall of his horse in a race at the Shelbyville fair Wednesday, was brought here last night, where he remained until this afternoon, when he was taken to the home of his parents at Woodlawn. His injuries are of a very serious character, although his ultimate recovery is predicted.  August 11, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 25, 1997 
Logan Lacey, who was badly hurt by the fall of his horse in a race at the Shelbyville fair Wednesday, was brought here last night, where he remained until this afternoon, when he was taken to the home of his parents at Woodlawn. His injuries are of a very serious character, although his ultimate recovery is predicted. August 11, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera
The Daily Register - Mt. Vernon, IL, Tuesday, August 15, 1899 Miss Emma JOHNSON celebrates her 56th birthday on the 8th ...... She read an address saying: I see three of you who are beyond what any of us expects to live - 94, 72, 68. Your parents also sleep over here at the old Pleasant Grove. It is historic ground. I have remembered their names and with your permission I will call the roll of our dead ancestors. John and Margaret WESTCOTT Thomas and Malinda WILLIS Charles MAXEY Green and P. MAXEY James and Gemima JOHNSON Billy and Bettie BROWN Wm. and Patsy TINSLEY Jordan Mary TYLER Thomas and Harriet CASEY Asel and Millie BATEMAN Henry and Katy TYLER Levy FAIRCHILD John and Sadie GALBRAITH Abraham and Linnie CASEY Murvel SMITH George HILL Carel and Matilda COOPER Franklin and Rhoda CASEY Thomas BADGET and wife Joseph and Celie McMEEN Elihu MAXEY and wife Canon MAXEY and wife Thomas McMEAN and wife Hardy MAXEY and wife George and Maranda BULLOCK Zack HARVEY and wife John and Fannie WHITLOCK Joseph ELLER (This is not the complete article but I have listed the names from it.)
A telephone message to the REGISTER today from Dr. Ross at Belle Rive states that 9 year old son of Wm. Scrivner, who fell off a mowing machine and had his skull fractured by one of the wheels passing over his head, is getting along nicely and indications point to his complete recovery. One of the guards of the machine pierced his skull near the brain, making it necessary to remove, by a surgical operation, a piece of bone nearly two inches in length, and with it a considerable quantity of the brain. It was thought at the time of the accident that the boy's injuries were of a fatal character and the announcement of his probable recovery will be very gratifying intelligence to the friends of the family and others interested in the case. Drs.Morgan Ross and Earl Green were called for consultation in relation to the case on the day of the accident, since that time, however, the patient has been under the care of the two former physicians.  August 28, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 25, 1997 
SECOND ANNUAL REUNION OF THE PACE FAMILY The second annual reunion of the descendants of Joel Pace Sr., in Jefferson and surrounding counties was held at the fair grounds today, and was in all respects a most enjoyable occasion for the participants, about 250 in number. The morning was devoted to renewing acquaintance and to the enjoyment of those social diversions that characterize such assemblages. At noon a superb picnic dinner was served in the shady grove near the band stand, and gastronomically considered, was an event long to be remembered. The assembly was constantly accreted by arrivals from town during the afternoon, a very considerable number of its population being either lineally or collaterally related to the Pace family. A representative of the REGISTER made a visit to the reunion grounds about 2:30 this afternoon and found the picnickers enjoying themselves greatly in listening to reminiscences and in the renewal of mutual friendships. During the exercises of the afternoon, Albert Watson, as the representative of his father, Joel F. Watson, president of the association, called the meeting together for the transaction of the annual business. After some discussion officers for the ensuing year were re-elected as follows:  Joel F. Watson, president; James M. Pace, vice president; Dr. W. C. Pace, of Ashely, treasurer; W. T. Pace, historian; Joe V. Baugh, secretary. The executive committee of last year was reelected with the addition of two new members. It was also empowered to select such sub-committees from the membership of the association to assist in the work before it was deemed necessary. The executive committee as at present constituted, consists of the following:  Mrs. Martha E. Plummer, Mrs. Sarah E. Watson, Mrs. Anna A. Watson, Mrs. Anna L. Pace, Mrs. Letitia Garner,of Salem, and J. Lee Crowder. A motion was unanimously adopted, expressing the thanks of the reunion association to the Jefferson County Fair Association for the free use of the fair grounds. A similiar vote of thanks was tendered to the executive committee for its efforts on behalf of the Pace family and its descedants in making the reunion so agreeable and entertaining an affair. At the conclusion of the routine business Judge W. T. Pace, as the historian of the association, gave a succinct history of the Pace family from the time of its emigration to America in the 16th century to the present day. Following Judge Pace addresses were made by Rev. LaGrange Pace, of Tuscola, and others. Among the out-of-town attendants at the reunion were, Chas. N. Crowder and wife, St. Louis; Mrs. Mary Jackson, St. Louis; Rollie Crowder and wife, Howell, Ind.; Dr. W. C. Pace, Ashley; Walker McCreary and wife and three children, Benton; Marshall McCreary, wife and two children, Thompsonville; Mrs. Letitia Garner, Miss Frank Garner, J. H. Vawter and family; J. E. Bryon and wife; H. F. Pace, son and daughter and Ed Parks, Salem; Rev. LaGrange Pace, Tuscola; Mrs. Phoebe Tryner, Pueblo, Colo. September 14, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 22, 1997
Mr. and Mrs. Norman H. Moss and children, Mr. Rufus J. Grant, wife and child, Mr. Angus Moss and wife and Mr. W. D. Moss all left for Springfield this morning to attend the state fair this week. They will be the guests of Capt. Moss and wife while in the Capital city.  September 25, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Dec 22, 1997
MAYOR'S PROCLAIMATION Diptheria having broken out in the West Side school and believing there to be great danger that the disease might spread throughout the city, the Board of Education and the Board of Health having, a joint meeting held Saturday evening, ordered the school closed and the pupils attending the same kept off the streets. I therefore, in conjuction with such order, hereby enjoin upon all parents and guardians the absolute necessity of complying with such order for public protection and for the safety of their families. Children living within the boundaries of the West Side district will not be allowed to congregate on the streets or appear in public places. I have instructed the police to arrest any who violate the board's order; R.W. Carpenter has been named by the Board of Education as truant officer, and I hereby appoint him special policeman with with full power to arrest any or all violators of the quarantine order. Parents are urged, in every way possible. to assist the Board of Health and the Board of Education in this matter. G. F. M. Ward, Mayor September 25, 1899 Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 21, 1997 

The case of the People vs. John H. Roberts, assault to murder, was tried in circuit court today. H. G. Jones and Judge R. M. Farthing defended. the case occupied the greater part of the day. The case was the result of a family quarrel last winter, in which young Roberts seriously wounded his step father, G. W. Roberts by shooting him in the stomach. The parties reside near Ina. Young Roberts ran away after the shooting and was recaptured in Louisana, Mo., last July. Trial was by jury.  October 25, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News  Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 21, 1997 

The Daily Register – Mt. Vernon, IL, Tuesday, November 14, 1899 93rd Birthday of Aunt Patsy Short – November 13 is a day that is remembered in the SHORT family by children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great grandchildren as the birthday of Aunt Patsy SHORT, and on yesterday was not forgotten. Children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and friends and neighbors gathered at the residence of her son, James, in Farrington Township, bringing with them all kinds of good things peculiar to the culinary art. The day was one of feasting and rejoicing, 92 persons sat down and ate of the bounties prepared. Among the number present were: Alford SHORT and family, Joshua SHORT and family, Mrs. Thos. SHORT and family, W. W. SLEDGE and wife, J. W. SUMMERS and wife, J. W. TATE and wife, Guy SUMMERS and wife, Lew GRANT and wife, John SHORT and wife, Mrs. M. P. BRYANT and daughter, James YANDELL, wife and daughter, Joe HUNT, wife and daughter, Mrs. Kate BROOKMAN, Mrs. Nancy BROOKMAN and daughter, Eli ALLEN and wife, J. A. LISENBY, wife and family, Mrs. STONECIPHER, Mrs. John POWERS and daughter, Miss Katie HALBROOKS, Rev. KINISON and many others. After dinner Rev. KINISON read a few verses of scripture and made a talk appropriate for the occasion, and prayed God’s blessing upon Aunt Patsy and all present. It was a time long to be remembered, tears flowed down most cheeks present, songs and shouts of joy burst forth from many lips. At 3 o’clock the congregation dispersed praying God’s blessing upon Aunt Patsy and wishing her many more just such birthdays. Martha MADDOX, daughter of Alexander MADDOX and Tempa GILES, was born November 13th, 1806 in the State of Georgia; her parents were natives of Maryland. They moved to Illinois when Aunt Patsy was between 5 and 6 years of age and settled on Silver Creek in St. Clair County and two years later moved over on the Okaw in Clinton County. She was married to Thomas SHORT February 2, 1824. To them eleven children were born. The husband died July 18, 1870 and only three of the eleven children survive ---- Alfred, Joshua and James, aged 73, 69 and 67 years respectively. Uncle Tommy and Aunt Patsy moved to Jefferson County in 1841 and after his death she has lived with her youngest son. She united with the Methodist Church over 70 years ago and has strong faith that if faithful a few more days she will receive a crown of everlasting life. She can talk freely and recites clearly incident after incident of pioneer life, can remember the forts the settlers had to protect them from the Indians, and tells of thrilling adventures with the Indians and wild beasts of early days. She bids fair to live till she reaches the century line. May the blessing of God be upon her. J. C. KINISON
Charley Maxey, the 9 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Van Maxey, has recently undergone an experience that he doesn't care to repeat. One day last week while tacking a plank on a fence, near home, he accidentally swallowed a six-penny nail 
which was subsequently the cause of much anxiety and alarm on the part of himself and parents. In attempting to hold one nail between his teeth while he drove another into the fence, he inadvertantly loosened his grip upon the former which lodged against the base of the tongue,at the entrance to the throat, and from this position he was unable to extricate it. In an effort to call his brother to assist him in removing the obstruction, the nail was dislodged and passed down his throat into his stomach, greatly to the alarm of the boy's parents. At intervals for a day or two he experienced sharp pains in the abdominal region, but they gradually relaxed in intensity until the nail in his stomach gave him no great inconvenience. By the use of such home remedies as suggested themselves to Mr. Maxey, the nail was removed from the lad's stomach at the end of four days, whereat there was great rejoicing. The nail gave evidence of having been stained and corroded by the gastric juices of the stomach, when shown at the REGISTER office this morning. The presence of the nail in the boy's stomach several times produced a slight hem- morage, the most profuse flow of blood taking place from the ears at night. Instead of sadness in the Maxey house- hold this week there is general rejoicing over the happy issue of a trouble which a few days ago threatened to result in a funeral. November 21, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News  Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera
The Daily Register - Mt. Vernon, IL, Saturday, November 25, 1899 Audale, Kan., November 19, 1899 - Editor Mt. Vernon Register: Mr. F. B. GROTHOFF and E. E. KARN, Moores Prairie and Mr. J. W. LAUBENHEIM, of Belle Rive, left here July 26th and were joined by Mr. Chas. LAUBENHEIM, of Coulterville, at St. Louis, all en route to Portland, Ore. On their journey west they made their first stop at Colorado Springs, and made the difficult and wearisome ascent of Pikes Peak. Again continuing on their journey they reached the Mormon capital, Salt Lake City, where they spent Sunday and had the pleasure of attending the Mormon services held at the tabernacle. Again resuming their journey they arrived at Portland, Ore. After visiting Jefferson County friends and acquaintances in Oregon and Washington the happy four set sail from Portland for San Francisco where after having spent about two months in different parts of the state, GROTHOFF and J. W. LAUBENHEIM left for Arizona, where on the bosom of that Arizona desert they beheld for the first time a mirage, which is so common in that dry region. Then crossed New Mexico and saw the cotton fields of Texas, and finally landed at Fort Worth and renewed their tickets for Audale, Kan., where they have for the last month enjoyed the pleasure of old acquaintances, friendship, soft balmy air and sunshine. And now at the close of four months of sight seeing and pleasure F. B. GROTHOFF will return to his home November 23, and J. W. LAUBENHEIM, after remaining in Kansas a few more weeks will visit relatives in Missouri, where he expects to spend the winter. Very respectfully, J. W. LAUBENHEIM
BEQUEST TO MRS. OCK PACE Mrs. Ock Pace has been apprised that under the terms of the will of her uncle, Redmond Condon, of Waverly, Pike Co., Ohio, she has been made one of the legatees of an estated valued at many thousands of dollars. Just how much property Mrs. Pace gets under the bequest is not known, but is believed to amount to a very considerable sum. Mr. Condon had no family and conveyed by will, his entire estate to his nephews and nieces, under which provision Mrs. Pace had the good fortune to be one of the beneficiaries. The estate consists of both real and personal property, of which there is about $20,000 of the latter in bonds and other collaterial securities. The administrator of the estate has bee written to in relation to the matter and Mrs. Pace will know in a few days the amount of the legacy bequeathed to her by her uncle. The REGISTER joins the many friends of Mrs. Pace in congratulations upon her unexpected inheritance. Although human in all respects, we do not envy the good fortune of others, but felicitate them upon their prosperity. We are immensely pleased when good luck comes to ourselves and measurably so when it comes to others.  November 29, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 25, 1997
ACCIDENTAL DEATH A very serious accident took place a mile northwest of Dix about 11 o'clock yesterday, by which it is thought Charlie Jacobs will lose his life. Jacobs and about a dozen companions were out rabbit hunting when the unfortunate affair occured. Standing on a stump, waiting for an opportuinty to shoot at some game, which he expected would be driven from cover, he dropped his gun down at his right side with the intention of resting the butt on the stump, upon which he stood. The gun, however, slipped out of his hand and the hammer struck on the stump, exploding the cartridge and discharging the contents of one barrel into his right side, tearing away the flesh in the most horrible manner imaginable. Dr. Whitlock summoned Dr. Earl Green for consultation, by telephone yesterday afternoon and the latter became associated with the case as consulting surgeon and physician. Jacobs, who has but recently removed to this county, is about 35 years of age and married. He was still alive last night, but little hope was entertained for his recovery. LATER - We learn from Dr. Green that he died at 3 o'clock this morning.  December 1, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 25, 1997 
Dr. and Mrs. Moss Maxey went to Kinmundy yesterday to eat Thanksgiving dinner with the former's sister, Mrs. Sugg. Dr. Maxey will return tonight leaving his wife to make a more extended visit.  December 1, 1899 Mt. Vernon Register News Submitted by: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera Oct 22, 1997
"THE LOST BOY FOUND" Robert Stamper Finds His Mother and Other Relatives The truth of the old proverb that fact is stranger than fiction was never better proven that it was yesterday by the return of the long lost Robert Stamper to this city after an absence of 25 years. No story from the Arabian Nights or the modern romancers is as marvelous as the restoration of him who yesterday returned to his aged mother after being mourned as dead for nearly a quarter of a century. During all these years Robert Stamper has been a sort of wandering Ulysses, going from place to place in search of his mother and other relatives, the realization of which had become the paramount object of his life. In 1870 Nathan E. Stamper (Robert's father) was a well to do resident of Pleasant Grove in Shiloh township where he lived with his wife and two sons, Robert & Harry, the former not quite five years old and the latter about 15 months his junior. His daughter, Mrs. Hutchinson was not born at this time. Mr. Stamper was a thrifty man and engaged in various enterprises by which he could turn an honest penny, one of which was peddling goods by wagon through the country. One day he drove away taking Robert with him and nothing was heard of him until a few weeks ago, when his residence in an obscure town in Louisiana, was accidentally discovered by Harry Stamper while prosecuting a search for his long lost brother. The story of their wanderings after leaving here as told by Robert since his return is that they started south and crossed the Ohio river at Paducah where they stopped for some time., afterwards continuing their journey through Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi into Louisiana where a halt was made at Marshfield and a store opened. They lived at this point for two or three years when they again removed going this time to Texas. Robert was now ten years old and, being cruelly treated, he determined to run away and escape the barbarian restraints of his father. Although he had repeatedly tried to learn something of his mother and his family relations..... demanded information concerning them. He resolved to find his mother at all hazards and from that time until the meeting between the two took place yesterday.... .........left no stone unturned to.... but this result. In his search he visited nearly every state and city in the union but all to no purpose. One day...New Orleans, he learned that a man by the name of H. M. Stamper was registered at one of the hotels but inquiry of the clerk revealed the fact that he had left the city a short time before on his return to his home in Montreal, Can. He followed to the latter city only to find that the stranger was no relation and knew nothing about his antecedents or family history. Every clue that held out a possible hope was taken up and followed, but variably ended in failure of his cherished wish of finding his parent. The bereft mother was hardly less zealous in her efforts to find her son that the latter himself had been to bring about this result. Inquires were made all over the country for the lost boy but nothing could be heard from him and his fate had been the theme of much speculation in the family circle. Not long after leaving here, Stamper (Ina's note: Nathan) married and by this last wife had several children, and it was through an invitation from his half sister that Robert visited his father at Bienville, LA last Christmas. It was during this visit that Robert learned from his half sister that his mother lived in Illinois, she having found it out through correspondence with relatives in Tennessee who in turn discovered it from relatives in Arkansas. With this information in his possession, it was comparatively an easy matter for Robert to unravel the mystery of his life. About a week or ten days ago Harry Stamper received a letter at Jerseyville from his brother in Tennessee, which he brought down here and showed to his mother Mrs. D. H. Warren and sister Mrs. Charles Hutchinson. After a family consultation it was decided that the identity of the lost man was established and Harry left the next day for Eaglesville, Tenn to bring him back. They arrived here on the L. & N. train yesterday afternoon and drove at once to the residence of Mr. & Mrs. D. H. Warren, (Ina's note: Nathan m. Chloe Johnson in IL, & when he deserted her, she remarried to a D.H. Warren) one mile east of the city where the meeting between mother and son took place. When Robert was small living at his home in this county he was kicked on the head by a horse which left a peculiarly shaped scar; which is as plainly marked now as it was on the day he left here. A family jubilee is being held at the Warren residence today and not without cause, as the event it commemorates is one of the most remarkable in the annals of Jefferson county.  SOURCE:(Taken from an undisclosed newspaper source circa 1899) SUBMITTED BY: Ina Wallace Jan 28, 1998 


Visit RootsWeb
 HOME | Newspaper Articles Index

Please send additions & corrections to 
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2016 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved